Having trouble going in a straight line or staying upright? Or do you already know how to paddle but need to improve or update your skills? We can help.
Nymboida River Canoes can provide paddle tuition at a very reasonable cost.
We hold Australian Canoeing qualifications to teach skills in kayak and canoe on flatwater or white water (up to Grade 2 difficulty).
Basic Skills Courses are the most commonly conducted, however we are happy to tailor an individual program to meet your specific requirements.
Course elements (canoe or kayak) include:
Basic Skills Courses
- equipment orientation
- entry/exit technique
- basic strokes (propulsion, steering, support and stopping)
- what to do in the event of a capsize
Advanced Skills (moving water/white water) courses
- river reading skills
- moving water tips and techniques
- basic rescue technique
- rolling (kayak)
- surfing (static or dynamic waves)
We can also provide training in
- multi-day trip planning
- understand weather and forecasts and their potential impact on your trip
As a minimum you will need to bring:
- towel and change of clothes (you will get wet)
- sunscreen, hat and sun-protective clothing/gear
- solid footwear that can get wet (old sandshoes or neoprene boots); and
- adequate food and water for the duration of the course
- Four participants (minimum) are required to run a course.
- Any participant aged 16 years or younger must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
- Participants must have an average fitness level and be able to swim 50m with PFD/life jacket and clothes
- Participants must sign a general indemnity including a statement of medical fitness prior to participating in any course.
Contact us for our current rates and any other relevant requirements.